We have decided to host Talkin' Tuesdays #talknt on Twitter since it is more user friendly than the chat rooms that we have tried before. The tips below should help you become acquainted with Twitter quickly!
How to join Talkin' Tuesdays #talknt
If you’re not already set up on Twitter, you will need to head on over and set up an account. (Twitter is free.) Here are some tips for setting up your account.
- Choose a user name that reflects who you are and that isn’t too long.
- Use a head shot of yourself as your avatar, I like to see what you look like! :)
- Make sure and include a bio of yourself in your profile, it's fun to share who you are!
- To chat with other tweeters simply use the @thentheirname Feel free to make new friends!
- If you have an online business or etsy shop you may want to create a separate account for that.
- When you see PLS RT this mean Please Retweet!
- Please make sure that make sure that you have included the hashtag #talknt and that it’s spelled properly. The feed will only show tweets that clearly have #talknt in them. You must also make sure that your account isn’t locked. Go to settings and make sure “...Protect my tweets” is NOT checked. There are also cases in which the feed will not pull in tweets from inactive accounts so if you’ve just set up a new account or don’t post very often you may have to become a more active twitter user in order to join in the feed.
Once you’re all set up on Twitter, note the following:
- When using Twitter, you must refresh often to see new tweets streaming in. Some third-party technologies, like Seesmic or Hootsuite, stream continuously, making it so you do not have to refresh, but on Twitter you do.
- I use Seesmic. In Seesmic to join the chat you will type #talknt. This will pull up a chat and everyone on twitter that is typing #talknt will see what you're saying.
- So after everything you type in our chat you will need to type #talknt. Otherwise we wont see what you're saying. Clear as mud?
- To say something back to someone you will type @ then their name then your message then #talknt. So if you wanted to say something to me you would type @piecenquilt how are you today #talknt.
What is Talkin Tuesdays? #talknt
- When I joined Twitter I was overwhelmed, after my first few hours of actually using it that overwhelming feeling left and now I'm addicted. This is a fun way to make new friends in the sewing and virtual community
- Twitter has its own rules of etiquette, which include breaking all those rules we've been taught our whole lives! WAHOO!
- Join in on others conversations.
- Go off on tangents.
- Shorten words to fit a complete thought in 140 characters, and talk to strangers.
- The more you use people’s Twitter IDs as you tweet to them (e.g., @piecenquilt), the more likely they are to see and reply to your tweet(s).
Some of my friends prefer other services but for me I am most comfortable with Seesmic. I like that I can view what's going on with Talkin' Tuesdays #talknt while maintaining other conversations at the same time.
Talk It Up #talknt
Have fun with this! My original idea was that there are so many of us sewer/crafters out there and we need a break from our usual grind, a chance to share tips, advice, funny stories and learn from each other.
Win a Prize!Each week at the end of our chat we will give away a fabulous prize! This weeks prize 8/31/10 will be an Spirit Charm Pack. Sponsored by Piece N Quilt.
*If you'd like to be a sponsor please contact Natalia.